Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Story - "If you can dream it, you can do it"

Whish you all your dreams come true!

My story in English this time, Polish version here.



That was a hot May weekend, Marseille, France. For a few last year these days I have been attending PMI Leadership Institute Meetings (LIMs). LIMs are designed to inspire and support PMI leaders by offering face-to-face opportunities to connect with and learn from fellow volunteer leaders. For me LIM is more than a conference. This is a very inspiring and motivating event with focus on networking and exchanging experience.

During one of discussions my friend mentioned a request for a few Project Managers from an abroad company. A light bulb went off in my head – there’s a demand. For last few year I had been dreaming about my own company. Dreadful decision – it’s so difficult to leave our comfort zone. Global organisation, the newest technology, nice people, benefits, status and a job I love.

At the end of the event, Jim Lawless with “Ten Rules for Taming Tigers” made the audience laugh and cry. After the emotional, entertaining and inspiring speech I had one question in my mind: „Who is writing your story? You or your tigers? There’s only one answer: „Corp has written at least a few chapters”. I need to read the book “Timing Tigers. Do things you never thought you could” and know there’s high time for change.

Got a copy of book with the special dedication: „Gosia, write your story!”



Next LIM, Istambul, Sahar Hashemi talking on how she left a corporate world and founded Coffee Republic, the United Kingdom’s first U.S. style coffee bar chain, with her brother and built it into one of the UK’s most recognised high street brands. I had my company registered, but still working full time for someone else. Full time job, volunteering for PMI left no time for my own business. In July I had decided to give the notice with the feeling of freedom!


Next conference, October 2013, Orlando, and Carey Lohrenz, who thanks to her winning attitude became navy’s first female F-14 fighter pilot and her words:
“Be a catalyst, question the that to says "I'm not ready yet (do you remember "timing tigers"?), find a third way, be brave, take risks and be committed to excellence! Nothing beats experience and there's only ONE thing that makes a DREAM impossible to achieve: The FEAR of FAILURE! And finally the question: What are you going to do? I had my plan in place which changed my life.

AgilePMO arose with the combination of passion and market demand for efficient project management approaches to deliver expected results, greater business value and competitive advantage.

During last year I’ve managed to start a cooperation with a few clients in Poland and abroad. Have created and delivered innovative training and workshops and joined the team which work on a new project management approach that is entirely complementary to the existing standards and methodologies.  And last, but not least I’m opening an office in London.


If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment